6 Creative Holiday Decorating Ideas
The holidays are a time for fun, family, and yes, decorating! Holiday decorations set the mood for the entire season. From inside to out, holiday decorations can lift your spirits and delight your friends and neighbors.
Great Indoor Decorating
- Choose a Unique Theme – Choose a unique theme using the holiday to guide your decorations each year. Popular themes are Santa, angels, and religion, but you can add a little spice to your home with a slightly alternative theme. You can choose a color theme like white or light blue, which convey the feeling of wintery cold. If you have young children, decorate your home with candy canes or stuffed reindeer.
- Use Natural Color and Fragrance – Carry the natural decorations throughout your home by using extra branches from your Christmas tree as decorations on a mantle or dining table display. Flowered centerpieces or petals in a clear vase add both color and fragrance.
- Add Indoor Sparkle – String indoor lights across your fireplace mantel, around interior doors and mirrors, and around lamps. Using indoor lights rather than burning candles gives you a beautiful sparkle without the threat of fire in a dry environment.
Fabulous Outdoor Decorating
- Light It Up – Outdoor lighting is a staple of every holiday home. Choose outdoor lights that are safe in adverse weather conditions. Another fun option is projection lights, which bathe your home in sparkles, snowflakes, and other fun holiday images.
- Add Color with Seasonal Flowers – Winter flowers and plants can add a splash of color to your home during the daylight hours. Poinsettias, roses, and holly are classic holiday flowers with rich deep colors and wonderful fragrance. If you have pets, choose non-toxic varieties if the plants will be on the ground level.
- Delight the Children – Whether you have kids or have some in your neighborhood, choose at least one holiday element that is guaranteed to put a smile on their face. Everyone loves a great, lighted blow up of Santa or a snowman, but you can also string lights through your trees and hang glass snowflakes from the branches to create a magical space.
Also, check out 10 Home Improvement Items to Tackle as You Decorate for the Holidays.